[RC] Our first 100, part 2/LONG - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Skyla slstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Part two:

I had packed on my saddle: baling twine, vet wrap, easyboots,
hoof pick, bandana, flashlight with extra batteries, bug rep
that was compatible for human and horse, sunscreen, chap stick,
tush wipes, snacks, water, sponge, spare rein clip, PowerAde
powder, vet card, rump rug, tied a Gore-Tex rain coat on me,
gloves, sun glasses and probably a thing or two I have now
forgotten. For women I would suggest you NEVER forget a bit of
bag balm or something similar, it is amazing the pain you can
experience after a ?break? on the trail, after 50 miles of
friction. I LOVED my riding partner very much after that bag
balm kicked in! We rode a very conservative ride, a friend was
doing her and her horse?s first 100 and so we decided to ride
together. The two horses are pretty different in their paces,
but we were able to work around that, and each horse did his
part to not let the other one down. We have ridden together
enough to know that the two boys are willing and able to work
around each other?s strengths and weakness?. Same with the
riders, we just used our individual strength?s and let that even
out each other when we needed it to. Knowing that we were the
only two riders out there that were first timers, with first
time horses, it only made sense to pair up, after all 100 miles
is a LONG ways to go. The aches, pains, tiredness, grumpies,
hunger, thirst, frustrations, heat, cold, concerns, they all
showed up during the course of the day, but not one of us
(horses included) let them stay around long enough to start a
party. I had already hardwired myself into KNOWING this was part
of the experience and that I would NOT let it ?become? the
experience. ?This too shall pass?, my motto for the ride, and it
DID work!!!  Only one tiny ?experience? that did show up, and
stayed long enough to become a party was the vertigo I got about
3-4 miles from the finish. I have never experienced such a
thing, and frankly really hope not to ever again. I had to
decide how to handle it, I could get upset and let it get me
down, after all we had some really GREAT trotting we ?could?
have been doing, or I could just take it for what it was and
deal with it. I took it, giggled, screamed, and did my best to
feel the ?whole? effect of it (did I mention dementia), and we
just kept going forward. I could only walk, and Tempo had
complete control of where we were going, it was a tiny single
track trail winding through the sagebrush, and the WHOLE thing
just looked like a big black pit to me. He was my rock and
source of strength, he walked right out with head up and a great
attitude, although it was very apparent he wasn?t real happy
that Mom was no longer able to trot, and here it was SUCH the
perfect trail. :oP  My riding partner PJ Blonshine and her
wonderful horse Saudi, they babysat us the first 3 miles so
Tempo could get past the ?tie-up? distance, and then they had to
baby-sit a rather strange and out of it woman the last 3-4 miles
at a walk to finish. I was very grateful for there kindness. We
all finished sound, healthy (expect for the dementia/vertigo)
and happy. This was the way to do a 100 miles! They say it
is ?mental? (no pun intended), and so I prepared for that, and I
WON!  We stuck together, and with the attitudes kept UP, the
horses were always happy on the trail, and we were too. It is
amazing what you can do, just don?t fool yourself that things
will be perfect, they WON?T. Realizing things would be
miserable, and preparing before the ride on how I would deal
with that agony was the key that made this a fantastic
experience. I am an overweight (60lbs), 43 year old housewife, I
don?t ?work out? but did start walking with my horse on rides as
I know this is the only way I would get any exercise. I did the
homework for my horse, I did the mental homework for me. I
didn?t do anything away from our normal routine, other then
getting off and walking.

You know, a 100 mile ride really isn?t a ?monster? if your horse
is strong, healthy, sound and has a good attitude, but most of
all, YOU must be ready to deal with the down?s that WILL come
during the ride. How you handle that will most likely determine
how you and your horse feel about the experience. Will I do one
again? I have no clue, but at least I KNOW we can!

I have many; many people to thank, from the management, vets,
ride help to crew, without them, this story would not have been
told. Thank each and every one of you!! Too many names, but you
all know who you are, and what you did!

Just don't forget the bagbalm!

Skyla and Tempo (big, strong and beautiful horse, inside and
out??ahh shucks Mom, you're embarrassing me?)