[RC] My Biltmore - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Angie McGhee Rides2far@xxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, I'm going to try to give a quick review while I can. I'm
on jury duty and taking lunch break at the public library and I'm the only one
here profusely tapping. :-P

The Biltmore was great. Best weather EVER. Low 70's, low humidity, and a cool
breeze. I rode Jody Buttram's mare Aries and
wow, what a CADILLAC. It was her first 100 and my first in several
years but we both felt great all day.  We were on back there so
didn't see any of the drama up front. I guess my story is my
awe for the hard luck folks who toughed it out. There were two
and they definately earned the right to say they're tough...even
if I'm not so sure about the "smart" part. >eg<

First, Kara Drisbow who was riding the 50 when her horse fell
with her. Kara's foot went through the stirrup and her horse,
Jamey jumped up and took off running through the woods dragging
Kara face down. (boy do I love my cages). Thank God Kara's paddock
boot and half chap came off (the boot was still zipped) and freed her.
She had a dislocated shoulder and a black eye, bruised up. So...
what did she do? Got taped up, put the arm in a sling and
COMPLETED the 50!  I knew she was crazy but this brought it to a
new level. Way to go Kara! I took photos of her which I'll post
to John. I think she & Joni deserve their faces flashed across
RC.

Next, 10 yr. old Joni Buttram. Like I said, I was riding one of
Joni's mom, Jody's horses. The three of us were going to do the
100 together. Friday evening Joni started throwing up. She was
really excited about the idea that she was going to try to win
her second IAHA National Junior Championship trophy. I figured
it was just nerves and she'd be OK. Turned out she threw up all
night and had diarhea...typical stomach virus. She and her mom
did not get one wink of sleep but at 5:30 AM they both got on
their horses ready to start. I would not have bet a nickel against
$100 that she could have ridden 25 miles but that child rode 100. She never
cried, she never whined. She was very quiet and
drank water or Gatorade but never kept a bite down all day. She
slept at every vet check. I rode behind her all day and she stayed
dead center on her horse. The only thing she said was either
"Lovey needs to eat" or "Isn't it time to give the electrlytes".
Here I am forgetting them and she's remembering to look out for
her horse. Joni is third generation endurance rider and I do
believe their line breeds true. Heading out on the last loop
at 85 miles her mom asked her if she wanted to go to the trailer
or did she think she could trot the rest of the way. She was soo
tired but she said, "Would I get the trophy?" and her mom said,
"No, if you go to bed you don't get it" so she said, "I can trot".
Whew. And would you believe the IAHA people forgot to send that
trophy??? I wish whoever was in charge of filling that order
could have seen that kid heading out at midnight to ride
another 15 miles in the dark because she wanted it so bad. We
finished around 2:30 AM and I can vouch that Joni can not only ride centered
while dosing, she can also ride a *big* shy while dosing when her horse sees a
donkey in the dark.

Like I said, I had a wonderful ride. If there's anybody out there
so rich that they don't feel like risking their neck and their
knees they should offer Jody a mint for Aries. My knees
were totally unaffected by 100 miles. She was so smooth I mostly
took it in the ankles...and flew along after dark never missing
a lick. I'm totally unused to a horse that starts rationally
and can canter along relaxed without getting racey. That was
just toooo fun. They did change the trail a little this year
which knocked out some of my favorite parts at the end when
we used to ride along the river, but we got "lucky" and missed a
turn at about 11 PM and ended up on a hill looking directly
at the "big house" all lit up in the dark. It's the only time
I've ever thought getting off trail was a good thing. That
view was priceless.

Angie