[RC] climbing side of trailer part II - Jonni

Jen posted: >>>  I have ridden in the trailer with him.  It is loud and
there is a slight breeze that comes through the front window despite it
being closed all of the way.  But it actually has a rather smooth ride.<<<<

Ride in the trailer without a horse to distract you. Face forward, and try
to stand withOUT grabbing on as a friend starts, stops, does corners etc. It
will really give you an idea of what the horses go through.

I am not sure I would consider him claustrophobic.  He drives as well as
rides and he really seems to enjoy the extra security of knowing the shafts
are there.<<<

I had a horse that was claustrophobic to stalls he could not hang his head
out over a door to see, or with full front bars to he could see. If he could
not see out, he would rear up, and look over the top, into the stalls next
to him. He trailered fine, but his trailer was one he could see out. He did
extensive driving, both with and without blinkers. Claustrophobia is
different in different horses, and what bothers them. Maybe he might need to
be able to see more.

How short can I make the trailer tie? <<<

I really don't like super short ties in the trailer. They often feel MORE
confined, and more likely to fuss. And a horse tied low as someone
mentioned, like to a ring in the floor, is more able to really set back
against the tie.

I'd yank the divider out, or at least undo the back, and swing it to one
side, to give a slant effect. Load the horse, and then after the doors are
shut, nudge it so it can see that it can swing the hind end over. Those
hauled in straight loads often don't figure out the ability to stand at a
slant right away.

This may or may not help. Also, you say the horse will not eat in the
trailer. Will it eat treats, or a little grain or sweet feed if waiting in
the manger? I always have a little treat waiting mine when they get in. Have
done this for many, many years. Not much, sometimes just a handful of grain,
or a carrot. But they are always very eager to get in the trailer, and I
have not had trailering issues for years.

Jonni in TX