[RC] WEC & International - Dean A. Conti

I would respectfully disagree with some of Truman’s sentiments and conclusions on this painful issue. I am a member of AERC and AERC I with hopes of someday competing internationally (one of those long term dreams).

I believe everyone would agree that there were several unacceptable outcomes. The drug testing mistakes were either deliberate acts of corruption or incompetence (assuming the officials are hired “professionals”). It appears there is culpability with the OC, FEI, team owners and trainers. I would hope/expect the FEI would be concerned enough about their international reputation to clarify the entire sequence of events and publish their complete findings regardless of how many or who ends up in the hot seat (including themselves). Real people should be held accountable. And regardless of the breakdown in protocol, two failed drug tests should be an Albatross hanging tightly around somebody’s neck. I personally have a big problem how they “rolled up the carpet” after one or two riders came in. I care who finishes, first through last.

I agree with the notion of staying engaged and trying to fix the problem from the inside, as opposed to pointing and complaining about their problems from outside. Endurance is too small of a sport and AERC I (and AERC) could get painted with the same tainted brush that could be currently applied to the WEC and FEI. People not involved with the sport will make little distinction between the different sanctioning bodies and would view everyone involved in a poor light. I absolutely agree with Truman that there must be real action from AERC I. IMHO the first thing should be a formal request (demand) for absolute transparency in FEI’s fact finding and full disclosure of FACTS and DATA. Moral indignation is a great tool, but we need to be certain to get it correct.

Perhaps the best way to change the things that we (AERC membership) least like about the path of the current WEC format would be to host it here in the US soon. One of best the suggestions that have been posted, IMHO, would be a two day 100 or three day 150. One day full flat, one day mountains and a third mixed. That would clearly be a much better test of “Endurance”, “To Finish Is to Win”, and would also bring the riders ability and strategy more into the calculation as well. If someone then shows up that is better prepared and wins then we would have only ourselves to blame. The cost is astronomical but certainly not impossible if we collectively have the will make a real change.

Dean

#33370

Truman said:

Yep but they are not alone it this. The FEI seems to be walking hand and hand down the primrose path with them.  Now I wonder since we were suppose to "stay engaged" -  "*Our very presence over there was supposed to be such a positive influence in helping them learn "ethics", "morals"

and "fairness..."  *where is the outcry from AERC I. Where is the moral indignation against a potentially corrupt organization that has sold out? The silence is deafening.

Plato probably said it best when he said, "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."

A sad day for international endurance, but a sadder day for the AERC since we insist on sticking our organizational heads in the sand.