RE: [RC] Injecting hocks for mystery front end lameness!!!!! What? HELP!!!!!! - Ranelle Rubin

Mike,
In defense of draw reins, I have successfully trained two Arabs to move off
their hind end with them. I did not, however use any 'nose band". Instead, I
pushed them into contact with the bit and immediately dropped the draw rein
when I felt their back come up and felt them move smoothly and in frame. I
am not talking a "collected" frame either. Both of these horses would throw
their head straight up and hollow out their backs when picking up a trot.
One of them is Casey, an incredible gelding who carried Mr. Hasumi to a 23rd
finish on Tevis in 2003 and is now living the life of luxury in Japan. His
owner had only ridden him in one ride because he did not know how to get
this horse to travel efficiently. He was like riding a sewing machine the
first time I rode him. So often I see horses with incredibly short
martingales, falsely keeping their heads down. This method was taught to me
by a trainer friend who has shown T-breds all her life. The draw reins are
used to re-enforce what you are teaching them with the direct rein ONLY. The
second the horse moves into the bit with a relaxed poll and supportive back,
the draw rein is dropped. With Casey, I rode him on the trail with these for
about 3 weeks, the third week only using it once or twice per ride. After
that, the slightest downward roll with the Myler bit and a gentle squeeze
with my calves and he was in frame immediately. The key is to encourage the
horse to reach into the bit and round out their back. The thrill of this
kind of improvement and knowing you will create an animal who can last at
this sport (get the weight off of the front end, develop muscles to support
the rider with their back), is something I live for! My friend says these
Arabs are like Matchbox cars, "All you have to do is show them what you want
and they do it!".

Ranelle