[RC] Training schedule - Magers, Cassandra

Title: Training schedule

I was reading people's responses to the lady planning her first ride at Old Dominion and a couple said they thought 12 miles three times a week was too much.  I have also talked with some people riding 50's that said once their horses are in shape they rarely ride any more than the competitions every two to three weeks.

 I'm still new to the sport.  I rode NATRAC for two years, then moved so now I've done a year of CTR with UMECRA and this year I'm moving to LD with hopes of continue all the way to 100's.  I'm currently riding a great paint but have more than a few up and coming young Arabs.

My question is what are some guidelines for training/conditioning without over training or under training.  The area I normally ride is considered rough lots of good hills and rocky terrain.

Thanks for any help for the newbie.

Cassie