RE: [RC] weak ankle (on me) - Nancy Sturm

We parent several kids with cerebral palsy and they sometimes wear an AFO (ankle foot orthotic) to support the ankle.  The type they use would probably wear you raw over a period of hours, but some type of bracing comes to mind.

Nancy Sturm

----- Original Message -----
From: Dawn Simas
Sent: 5/1/2005 7:37:34 AM
Subject: [RC] weak ankle (on me)

I went on my first ride (Amer. River 30) after being out of the sport for 11 years.  My new horse, a QH buckskin paint, did awesome, better than my arab used to.  I had forgotten how swept up horses (especially this new guy) get for the first few miles and we traveled at a much faster pace than any training rides.  He never gets that extended of a gait in training.  Within the first mile or two, my bad ankle started to give out.  :(

I had a bad sprain in the 80's and when doing endurance in the 80's and 90's, my right ankle always starts "flopping" to the outside.  Eventually causing me to have absoluntely no strength to stand on, and riding crooked on the other foot.  Yesterday I wrapped it with vet wrap and that got me through the 30, but I doubt I could have done 50.  It's swollen today, like a sprain.

Does anyone have this problem?  Solutions?  Strengthen it?  Support it?  Different stirrups (I love my stirrups, but am wondering if the 1" wide leathers allow for them to rotate too much?).

Thank you for any help!

Dawn