[RC] what to do with horses during tornados/hurricanes/lightning storms - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Kim Huck khuck@xxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We live just east of Orlando, FL and after having endured Hurricanes Charlie,
Francis and Ivan last year, I can say without certainty that it depends on your
situation.  A lot depends on the build of your barn and how sturdy it is, the
amount of trees and potential debris in your area, the amount of flooding you
may or may not have, your fencing and protection from the elements that your
horses may or may not have and, do you have a generator or live in an area
where power will be restored quickly?

For tornados?  I would turn out.  We do have trees, etc. that could offer up
quite a bit of debris, but at least the horses have enough room to move if they
need to.  The problem with tornados is there is often time not enough warning.
Hope for the best in that situation.  One of my best friends can attest to what
it's like to have a "FL tornado" in the backyard.

For hurricanes?  I would leave mine in again in my barn.  The barn is strong
with a lot of wind and rain break and no trees (anymore) that can fall on the
roof.  Debris from the winds was not a problem. This was with sustained winds
of 70-90 mph.  Too much higher?.... I'm not so sure we wouldn't evacuate.

For lighting?  Horses would be in the barn.  We have very tall pine trees that
seem to be lighting rods so I like my guys in.

Frankly, the best that anyone can hope for is to think it through and try and
make the best decision that they can at that time for their particular
situation.

One thing that can be done is to get in touch with the local emergency
management officials.  Often times, they will have data and will have done
studies on what works the best in a particular area.

Here's to a quiet and calm weather no matter where you are!!

Kim