Re: [RC] What to do with horses during storms - Glenda R. Snodgrass

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Jody Rogers-Buttram wrote:

Hello all,

I was just wondering, how many of you who live in the areas that get tornadoes and bad thunder storms....just what do you do with your horses during those storms? I have been putting mine up in the barns for years, being afraid that they would get struck by lightning. I figure that the odds are greater to be struck than to have a tornado hit the barn with them in it. I think I heard somewhere that during a tornado they are safer in a large pasture, one with room to run from debris....but do they really run then???? or are they standing with their butts to the wind/rain and not moving. Mine are in the barn right now....waiting for the bad weather to pass.

Down here on the Gulf Coast where heavy storms and hurricanes are a way of life, most everyone puts the horses out to pasture in a bad storm. Even normally calm horses inside a barn can panic and hurt themselves when the storm gets bad because their natural instinct is to run, especially when it gets really loud (like large hail on a tin roof) and yes they definitely do run from flying debris in the pastures. They will stand butt to the wind and rain until something comes flying by and then they take off out of the way. There is a danger of lightning strike of course but I consider that the lesser danger.

--
Glenda R. Snodgrass
AERC #M18819