Re: [RC] gooseneck v bumperpull - Glenda R. Snodgrass

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Ridecamp Guest wrote:

Please Reply to: Denise  dgilseth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello, anybody out there care to offer an opinion and/or discuss the pro's and cons of a gooseneck v. bumperpull with a 1/2 ton pickup? I could use some experienced commentary. Thanks!

Pulling a gooseneck with a 1/2 ton truck is feasible under limited circumstances. The beefier your 1/2 ton truck is, the better. I have after-market heavy-duty shocks on mine and a 4.10 rear axle. It also helps to live in the flatlands.

I pull a new, galvanealed steel 2H slant GN that is barebones so as light as possible, normally with just one horse. I am within my tow capacity but I slow a bit when going uphill -- fortunately I live on the Gulf Coast so I rarely have to deal with hills at all. I have good brakes on the trailer and the truck and and I have stopped in a big hurry (limb down on the road coming around a corner at 50mph) so I am confident that I can safely brake in an emergency. My gas mileage is terrible when towing, though, and I suspect that's because this truck/engine weren't designed to be efficient with a heavy load.

The comforts of camping in a GN vs. bumper pull are absolutely incredible, even a barebones one like mine. I would have a hard time going back to sleeping in the bed of my truck under a camper shell. It also feels much more stable on the road, especially in bad weather or when big trucks blow past me, so I feel safer and more comfortable overall. I don't travel far very often, mostly short hauls of two hours or less from home. I am aware of my limitations, so I plan my trips carefully and stay very alert and cautious when driving.

However, if I still had my previous 1/2 ton truck, which wasn't beefed up above normal, I definitely would not be as comfortable pulling this GN. If I lived in or near the mountains, I wouldn't even consider this trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. A lightweight BP with small dressing room would be a better choice.

--
Glenda R. Snodgrass
AERC #M18819