RE: [RC] Hooves - Karen Standefer

Hoof shape to some extent may be genetic, but for the most part is determined by the environment (and human intervention is considered, in my book, part of the environment).  One can easily take a U shaped hoof and make it a C shaped hoof in one trimming.  And, after doing so some of the internal and external structures will begin to change shape as well (the frog being very much influenced by the environment as well as the bars and the alignment of the phalanges, sole thickness, wall density, etc.).

Karen

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of EquesB@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 6:40 AM
To: karen_standefer@xxxxxxxxx; rides2far@xxxxxxxx
Cc: goearth@xxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Hooves

In a message dated 4/26/2005 10:24 P Eastern Standard Time, karen_standefer@xxxxxxxxx writes:

But, if they were trimmed by humans, then all bets are off.  The horses that
Gene documented have never had their hooves touched by people.

Karen;

I am not sure which farm Angie visited, but, I  too have seen farms of yearlings, that had very round feet.  They had not been trimmed at all, some barely handled until after their yearling summer. I thought hoof shape was genetic?

Jackie Baker

Florida