RE: [RC] Strausser vs. Natural - Linda Cowles

Hi Folks,

Karen Standefer explained Strasser's approach far better than I can! I'm on
a few Strasser lists, and I want to emphasize that these folks have a lot of
very valuable information, however I don't feel the trim works for the types
of horses I trim.

I consider myself a "natural" hoof care provider. I initially studied with
Martha Olivo, a Strasser trained trimmer who now teaches her own trim.
Martha explains the function of the hoof better than anyone I know, and if
you have a chance to watch one of her dissection/lectures -- do it! You'll
learn a lot, and will never look at feet or legs the same way again.

I switched to trimming based on Pete Ramey's methods in September because he
emphasizes reading the hoof based on wall flair, excess wall length and the
level of the live sole. He advocates (depending on the individual horse)
using a mustang roll and not trimming live sole, bars or frog unless it's
really necessary on a set up trim.

Strausser trim was that it tried to shoe horn all horses into specific
angles and shape.  That a natural trim followed more closely to the horses
natural way of going but keeping the foot balanced.  Having done quite a bit
of research and read the Strausser books, I personally would have to agree.

Strasser didn't work for me; it wasn't logical to trim callous off of the
sole, or to shorten bars that seem to want to be at a certain level.

"Natural Trim" or LIM (Less Is More) advocates like Jackson and Ramey
encourage trimmers to remove excess wall, then ride as much as possible.
They encourage clients to buy hoof boots and use them at any sign of
discomfort in order to ride more often, because movement builds a better
hoof, and boots like the Boa allow for good movement. They also feel that
"hoof mechanism", essentially the pumping that occurs when a hoof is
weighted and unweighted, occurs in any LIM trimmed natural hoof, and doesn't
need to be extreme.

Strasser trimmers is thin the sole and introduce concavity with a hoof knife
(carving around the frog), where a "natural trim" focuses of getting the
hoof robustly sound so that the hoof develops it's own concavity over time.
You can see great examples of a "natural trim" on Ramey's site
http://www.hoofrehab.com/.

Again, I'm not an expert on Strasser, I don't know enough to condone or
condemn her work. Strasser trimmers have lots of valuable information! My
bottom line is that a Strasser type of trim - conservatively executed -
didn't work for me.

A Natural Trim does.

Linda Cowles
Certified Hoof Care Provider