[RC] mustangs - Karla Watson

Paula,
Saw your post. I was at Grizzly last weekend doing the 50 on my arab. Where do you live? I just adopted a BLM mustang after reading for months about mustangs. I also came from a strong show ring background training/starting throughbreds from the track into the hunter/jumper world. I ride arabs in this sport and just adopted my first mustang who was headed for slaughter. He is 10 yrs old, originally caught in Nevada, started by a man who used him 4 years in the mountains. Heck he even hunted off him. Then he threw him in a pasture for 2 years and ignored him. When he came to catch him, he had gone feral again. So the man was disgusted and sold him for slaughter. A lovely rescue lady happened to be there and bought him for meat price. Thats when I entered the picture and fell in love with him.

I must say these horses are not for beginners. If you are good with training and know natural horsemanship, they will make you better at it. They were made for natural horsemanship! I am having fun with "Harry" and he is already very bonded to me. We are getting him restarted and will be back on his back soon. As I am teaching him, he is teaching me ten-fold.

I'm sure you will agree these horses are many times smarter than your domestic horse. I really love that about them. I guess if you aren't smart, you die out there in the wild. But they can seriously hurt a person who doesn't know anything about horses. They also have magnificent memories that you don't want to mess up.
-----------Karla Watson/Portland, Oregon