[RC] Registration Costs, Etc - Adam and Jannelle

As a small breeder, we have had our share of registration issues, easy and
odd, over the years.  A basic registration is $100 if under 6mo (price goes
up as the horse gets older).  If you aren't the owner of the mare, you must
also pay a $15 transfer fee...and another if you want to be listed as the
breeder...plus paperwork for each thing.  Sometimes the folks on the phone
may forget those details because it's just routine to them.

You may turn in the paperwork on your horse(s) and make payments over the
phone, by mail, or even on the internet.  And they can be little payments.
In fact, I send in about $20 a month on my two accounts when things are
tight.  But no, they won't send you the papers nor the DNA kit until you
pay because that's what you are paying for so you won't get it until they
get the money.  I think the fact that they do let you make payments is
great.  While there might be some issue over the cost of registration, I
have always found the registry helpful and eager to please (except for a
small amount of time during the merger with IAHA).

I applaud those who are even trying to register their geldings.  I just did
the same thing a couple of years ago with two geldings, one that I sold and
one that I gave away.  While most endurance folks and many "average" owners
appreciate their horses and treat them as another member of the family,
that isn't the case for all horses.  I felt it would be better for the
horse to have some kind of "identity" in the long run.  If it made someone
appreciate them just enough to try to find a good home for the horse the
next time around, it was money well spent.  It was challenging enough just
to hope I was placing my horses in homes that were right for them.

And even if a horse isn't spectacular at endurance or another discipline,
how cool it might be for an unsuspecting new owner to find out that the
horse has a record of some kind.

Just my $.02 -

Jannelle

Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk
Yoncalla OR

I just registered my two youngest horses, and they wouldn't even send me
the DNA testing kit until they had my credit card and gotten all of the
paperwork.  But I did make the deadline and got two horses registered for
the price of one ;) They also charged me more than they told me it was
going to be over the phone.  Oh well, at least now I have two real
Arabians.  One even has a "+" symbol next to his name now.