Re: [RC] RE if you are concerned about wild horses... - TypeF \(Jackie Floyd\)

I had a similar situation happen to me when I went to the Stockton adoption a couple of years ago. My daughter and I caught the eye of a beautiful Appy filly 2-year-old. She had a sweat eye and stuck out in the crowd. We went up to $500 before we quit. There were four people bidding on her and the guy that won her said he was going to $1,000. He had a whole stable full of Appys and this one was right up his alley. A lot of the horses that day went for over $300 and a lot were in the $500-750 range. I couldn't believe how much the little burros were going for!
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 10:09 PM
Subject: [RC] RE if you are concerned about wild horses...

I have been adopting, training, and selling BLM mustangs for about 6 years now.  I don't make much money off them when you figure in the cost of feed for a year. I just do it because I enjoy taking a horse from a "don't touch me" state to a willing partner.  The only reason I can do this is because they are priced below slaughter prices.  I go to a holding facility and buy 4 every 2 years.  There is no way I would do it if they were charging around $500.  Which seems to be the going price for an untouched domestic horse.  I think the $125 price is excellent to get the most horses adopted out.  The higher the price, the less get adopted and the more that will be sent to slaughter under the current legislation.  When I sell the set I have now I will try my best to intercept some of the 3 timers.  I hope to save a few that way.  They are amazing horses and I hate to see any of them lose out on the chance for a good home.

Come to think of it.  A lot of the mustangs that are sold thru the internet and satellite adoptions go for considerably higher than the minimum bid.  I went to an auction where the mare I wanted BBAAADDD went for $850.  I gave up at $400.  I have seen the Kigers go for $1000 and up.  So, now that I think about it, maybe a higher price would work.  AAHH, I'm confusing myself.
Mary