[RC] deformed front legs-- strangest thing I've ever seen - Claire Nystrom

I was at my friend's barn where she boards yesterday and there was a
horse whose front legs did not go straight down from the knee, rather
the cannon bone was angled 45 degrees backwards from the knee.  It is
by far the most bizarre horse conformation I've ever seen, so I asked
the barn manager how the horses legs got that way. She had no idea and
said that I should ask the owner, as she was also dying of curiousity.
A few minutes later, the guy rides back to the barn, and from a
distance it looked as if the horse was gaited.  He came back and
loudly proclaimed-- "Wow, this horse rides just like a Tennessee
Walker."  I proceeded to ask him about his horses front legs and he
responds, "You must not have seen too many horses in your life if
you've never seen one like this."  He then launches into a litany
about all the riding stables in NYC and finishes by telling me that
this is the best horse he's ever owned, complete with a demonstration
of how the horse will ground tie and stand quietly anywhere.  He then
tells me that this horse used to be at Claremont (a barn in Manhattan
near Central Park) and that he got him because the horse "just
couldn't work 7 days a week anymore."  "Yeah, I guess he's kind of
broken down," I said, "but that's nice that you have him."
"Oh no, he ain't broke down," he tells me and then narrates how he
rides this horse all over the Bronx, even in traffic and he's
unflappable.
At that point, I just gave up on finding out what was wrong with the
horses legs, but I'm dying of curiousity-- has anyone ever seen this
or know what causes it.  It looked liked something that one would see
in a veterinary book of horse deformities as it looked very extreme to
me.  I can't imagine that the horse should be ridden, but at least
he's got an owner that loves him and appreciates him.