RE: [RC] electrolyte question from a newbie - heidi

There are lots of differing opinions, this is mine--- which is based on
endurance research data and a background in physiology, not from
thousands of miles personally ridden in competition.  So it's FWIW.

My advice is to start electrolyting before you load the horse in the
trailer.  A dose a few hours before you load, to hopefully encourage the
horse to drink before you leave (remember that increased plasma sodium
triggers a thirst response, which is a handy mechanism).  Another dose
when you reach base camp, again to encourage some drinking at camp,
especially if the water is 'strange' and your horse turns up his nose at
new flavors.

I'll take the differing viewpoint here, based on a reasonable amount of
competition and on vetting a bazillion rides.

I don't like to see new horses electrolyted at all, until they have some
slow mileage under their belts and have had a chance to adapt to the work
you are asking them to do.  In my experience, there are a considerable
number of horses that go off feed with the addition of any e-lytes, and
going off feed causes more harm than the e-lytes do good.

My recommendation is to ride conservatively with any new horse, give your
horse every opportunity to eat and drink, and see how he does.  If over
time, you feel that he in particular needs e-lytes, that is the time to
start experimenting with them.

FWIW, I've campaigned two PNER mileage champions and have done a
reasonable amount of Top Ten riding, and do not e-lyte at all.  In the two
blood draw studies in which I've been able to participate, my horses have
been among the most normal parameters of those drawn.  At the ride where
one of those studies was done, my non-elyted horse was 1st and BC on a
75-miler on a hottish and rather humid day.

Bottom line--you REALLY need to know your own horse before you start
messing with e-lytes, and if you start using them from the git-go, you
never do learn what he REALLY needs.  Or doesn't need...

Heidi