Re: [RC] Saddle fit and shimming - Laney Humphrey

If you use the shim, be careful to anchor it so it doesn't slip around or fall out. Can you put it inside the skito cover? The other major problem with using multiple pads and/or shims is slippage between all the layers and the sense that you are riding the pads and not the horse. I'd make time to get a good ride in before using the shim just to see what the sweat pattern looks like. Maybe you won't need the shim, especially if your horse is getting enough groceries to be putting on weight fairly quickly.
Good luck,
laney

agilbxr@xxxxxxx wrote:
A friend of mine and I were discussing our saddle fit woes yesterday and I was complaining because my endurance saddle is too wide for my paso, and she was complaining cause her austrailian is now not wide enough for her gaited Appy. So, we came up with the solution of trading to see what would occur. SO, last night, Nan comes out to my barn with Austrailian saddle in tow. We put it on Alpine without a pad to see where it will sit, and it just a ***smidge*** wide in the gullet area, however, that is where Alpine tends to lose all his weight, and since coming back from being leased, he still needs another 50 to 75 #'s put back on. I believe that once he gains all his weight back, the saddle will fit like a glove. When we put the Skito pad underneath it, it was a much better fit. It gives great spine clearance, which he needs with his sticky uppy spine. I rode him in it in the round pen, and he was happy and forward, moving well, and would collect up underneath it very easily. As a bonus, it fits me well too, and is comfy once I get used to the poleys.
My question here is if I stick my other skito insert (for an english saddle) under the front of this saddle as a shim, just until he gains back that last little bit of weight, do you think that will cause any problems. I didn't have time to ride long enough to get a sweat pattern going, so I couldn't tell that, but he was moving easier in this saddle than in his.
And as a by the way, my endurance saddle (cottage craft competitive trail saddle) fit her Appy like it's custom made for him. Why is it my saddles always end up fitting someone else better than my horse. Sigh....
Juli and Alpine (Pasos' can be austrailian horses...g'day mate!)