RE: [RC] sodium bicarb - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

My niece bought some electrolytes that have sodium bicarb in them.  Since
it
has a few vitamins and lactobacillus stuff in it, I told her she could use
it in his daily feed and it would be fine but I remember that it is NOT
appropriate for competition.  I could not tell her exactly why.  Does
anyone
have the short short version that I could explain to her?

1) Bicarb makes the system more alkaline, regardless of whether the bicarb
is produced internally by the kidneys, or is introduced orally (or sometimes
in IV fluids).

2)  When horses exercise at sprint speeds, they produce large amounts of
lactic acid, which makes the system more acidic in general and contributes
to fatigue.  Thus the idea of feeding bicarb to buffer the system and keep
it from getting overly acidic.  Sepsis also makes the system acidic, so we
use it sometimes in various disease processes.

3)  Endurance horses produce some lactic acid, but not a whole lot in
comparison to race track thoroughbreds.  So they're not particularly acidic
and not in need of being "buffered".

4)  What's more likely is that endurance horses produce a lot of heat
through muscular exercise, which they get rid of through sweating and
panting.  If it's humid, or they're hairy or whatever, then sweating isn't
very efficient, and to make up the difference, they have to do a LOT of
panting.

5)  Panting blows off a lot of carbon dioxide, and via a really boring and
complicated biochemical equation, the entire system becomes increasingly
more alkaline.  Adding bicarb on top of this makes the system even MORE
alkaline.

6) A highly alkalotic horse is a bad thing because a lot of things going on
in the body are picky about the pH at which they perform their job happily.
Cardiovascular function suffers, gastrointestinal function suffers, neural
function suffers and a biggie for endurance horses, the active form of
calcium (very important in muscle function) binds itself tightly to a
carrier protein and refuses to let go to go do its job like it's supposed
to.  The result is higher incidence of thumps, tying up, cramps, etc.  Bad
things.

7) Moral of the story, no bicarb for endurance horses if they're going to
wearing a saddle that day.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS