Re: [RC] Grade Horse Registry - Sisu West Ranch

Of course, in brand registration states if a horse has ever legally been transported out of its birth county, the brand registration paper lists what is known about the horse (including registration info if available) and thus fulfills the desire of owners to know about a grade horse.

As far as providing proof of age or even ownership the American Grade Horse Registry is pretty useless. You are encouraged to use the horses teeth to estimate its age. Since your opinion may or may not be any good there is no gain there. A horse theif could steal a horse, and register it, or you could re-register a horse under a different name and shave as many years off of its age as you desire.

While, it is surely possible to lie to a brand inspector, a brand inspector does actually see the horse, is part of the government, and presumably has access to reports and descriptions of stolen horses.

The American Grade Horse Registry web site emphasizes the usefulness of registration in proving ownership if your horse is stolen. It would surely be one piece of evidence, if you do not live in a brand registration state, that could help get a horse back.

The problem of identification of stolen horses is real. For this reason I am waiting patiently to see what comes of the current government project to develop a way to trace all livestock, including horses. It will include horses if we are lucky.

By the way, no hard fast proposal has been made yet, so lets not all get excited about any rumors that some government agency is going to come onto our places and insist that we do some horrible or completely ineffective thing to all of our horses.

Ed Ed & Wendy Hauser 2994 Mittower Road Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx