[RC] Meanwhile - Behind the scenes! - Connie Owens

This past Sat. I worked as a volunteer for one of my favorite rides, Meanwhile Back at the Ranch Cleburne Tx. My mare went lame a few days before and although recovering wasn't ready to take on this rocky ride, so I decided to help out. This was my first time working a ride behind the scenes and boy, I learned so, so, so much! Here are a few of my observations from my various roles (pulse taker, vet scribe, BC vet scribe, crew for friends riding, BC score number cruncher/checker, ect....):

The big difference in vet scores for a horse that's ready to continue and one that's not (between loops and at the finish). Meanwhile is a very technical ride with a lot of rocky hard trails and moderate climbs and people were riding blazing times for this ride. I could really tell the difference in those horses who were not recovering well and those horses who could handle it through great conditioning and or conformation/breeding and careful management of good horsemen/women. I saw a lot of tired and sore footed (tendon/suspensory) horses. The horses that were "fit to continue" were remarkable and lovely. A nice standard for me to see so I know what my horse should be like when we are in rides and conditioning.

Ride managers have a lot of b. s. to contend with!! But yet keep a smile going all day long!

The time keeper/scorer has absolute power!!! (Linda P., I knew you had a hard job but now I really know!!)

Some riders are very lucky to have horses that take care of themselves despite their person's lack of caretaking/pacing or riding skills.

There are wonderful riders out there who just ride the right way for their horses (easy, correct pacing) and bring them in looking great!

Just being quiet and listening to riders talking about tips for elytes, tack, cool downs, feeding and where to buy cheap diesel!

Horses that had low body condition scores had harder times recovering. In plain english, if they start the ride looking too thin then they just looked like he** when coming back into the vet.

I'm still a newbie (third season) and always learning. Big thank you to Becky , rm, who showed me a lot, to lovely Kim R. & hubby Ted who always make me and everyone feel so welcome on their ranch and to all the other volunteers who helped me out as well.  I think I was almost as tired from volunteering as I would have been if I rode the ride!

If you can work behind the scenes at a ride, just do it! It's a pretty cool feeling.....!

Connie
Ft. Worth, Texas