[RC] Cobre Ridge - 20th Anniversay Ride - Vallonelee

Cobre Ridge - 20th anniversary ride !

What an experience this was to finally ride here.  I have wanted to ride in Arivaca for a long time but never made it.  This year I was finally able to break away and just go. We have been so busy that we did not have the time to condition enough to feel comfortable for the 50, so opted to do the 25 instead.

This ride is advertised as TOUGH and remote.  The finishing times tell the story I guess.  The ride managers warn to be careful as the ride is so remote that the only way out is the way you went in - on horseback.  Rescue vehicles cannot get to you in most areas.  And of course this is the time of year for rattlesnakes (none were seen this day thank goodness).

But what you don't know is how absolutely breathtaking it is also.  The Ride Management promises you a tough but beautiful trail - and they deliver.  They also provide excellent volunteers, great trail markings and plenty of fun !

Dave and I finished the 25 mile trail in 5.5 hours - the slowest time I have ever taken on a 25 AND WE TOP TENNED.  Never in my experience have I heard of someone finishing in 5.5 hours and getting top ten !  This was a VERY technical and challenging trail - but OH SO MUCH FUN !.  Now that was riding.  Ridges, that when topped, had views of beautiful vistas as far as the eye can see without a sign of anything manmade - no phone lines, power poles, nothing. This ride was run mostly on private cattle ranches a few miles from the Mexico border.

The wildflowers were brilliant.  Of course we had to contend with the occasional bovine but even the master bull was even tempered and barely curious.  Early in the morning we came upon a momma cow with a newborn calf. It was still wet!

What a glorious ride.  The weather was picture perfect - sunny and barely warm. There was plenty of natural water along the trail in most spots.

The horses did a marvelous job and many compliments were garnered from the vets for Bravo and Kaci.  I couldn't be happier.

My hat is off to all the 50 milers that completed.  They are a bunch of tough horses and riders.  I wish I had been able to devote the time necessary to condition my horse for that course.  If the ride is held again (rumor is that it will not) I will definitely make it my goal to do the 50 !

Lee and Bravo
Dave and Kaci