[RC] Adverse reactions - Molly & Doug Covert

One more consideration on the injections - most needles (not all) are coated with silicone.  Some animals are sensitive to this and can have a reaction.  Remember though that this is a very tiny amount of silicone in relation to a large animal but some are very sensitive.

I'm glad to see Susan remind everyone that some swab the injection site with alcohol and some don't.  It is virtually impossible to sanitize skin.  Look at how much trouble surgeons go to before surgery!

All in all, vaccines are a very good thing.  Sometimes it's hard to accept that we have an animal that may have reacted to something other than the actual vaccine (the carrier, the silicone, the dirt on the needle, etc., etc.)  I am in no way downplaying the seriousness of some folks' horses reactions.  But as someone with dairy cattle who vacinnates on a regular schedule, I've seen some terrible results to farms who don't.  I'll gladly accept the tiny possibility that some reactions may occur.  And have.

Molly a milkmaid in MI