[RC] pellets making horse hot - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Amy amym600@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello!  I am having a heck of a time, I never had any problems with food or
weight back in MN.  Now here in AZ I am at a loss. My guy started losing weight
from my huge increase in riding.  Everything else is fine, vet was just out and
he is in good shape just needs more food, heck I can tell that, he is super
hungry.  Even our older guy started losing with all the increased riding.  So
our boarding place upped our alfalfa pellets slowly over the last few weeks, I
don't see a whole lot of improvement, AND I am now getting "Rocket Rides" on my
horse and the old guy is even hopping a bit.  I am wondering if they will
eventually adjust to the increase and quit acting hot or if I need to take away
the pellet increase and do something else?  I get up to the barn 5 times a week
so I will be buying my own grass hay to feed each time, plus maybe some rice
bran or beet pulp.  I just don't know whether to leave the higher pellet ration
and let them adjust or take it back down if they will not adjust and keep up
the silliness!  It sure is frustrating when you don't have your horses at your
place and are not controlling the diet.  Oh, right now they are getting grass
hay, about 4 flakes and 6 pounds of alfalfa pellets.  We actually took them off
alfalfa hay as it made them so hot it was insane.  Both horses are the ho-hum
type horse and it put them into the unridable category.
Thanks for any advice! Amy