Re: [RC] american flex - Debbie L S Kirchner

I have to add to this to my previous post, I have not used the shims yet on either the Western or the English saddle... but intend to try them on my English style saddle, He is very rump high and has a very short, short back... I also think the slight rubbing  from the western saddle was just pulling some hairs, cutting them just a tad cause the Western was a bit to long for his back, I am thinking if I had shimmed  the saddle just a little it would have fit perfectly...  but he did not complain at all... I just noticed it...  there was no tenderness either, when he changes coats it was noticeable...

 I just want to make it clear that I and the horse love the saddles and Terry did a great job explaining how they work...

I am sure with the shims the western would have worked perfectly for him, I sold it only because I love my English style saddle... and my hubby bought the special last year... an Endurance type model with the rise cut out of it like a western saddle on English panels, He and his horse love it...

I have also ridden both saddles on different body types, a stocky APPY, a Paso with a short back and no withers, and a Morgan with very high withers and a short back...Dan rides his new Morgan gelding with average withers and a stocky build...
The appy is hard to fit, and in the AF saddle is happy, I keep thinking if I sell a horse they are going to have to buy an AF saddle to ride the horse in, cause I really believe once a horse is comfortable in an AF, they know the difference...

I know that Cathy bends over backwards to help make sure that the saddle is adjusted correctly and works for both the horse and rider... She met with us a couple of times to figure out some little things....I have found that her girths are the BEST too...

Debbie In SE MN

I have a high rumbed short backed Gaited Morgan and ride many miles, not
endurance miles though...I have the shims and am going to get the pad with
the pockets at the MN EXPO so that I can avoid any loin rubbing, as I did
have a little of that in the western saddle in the spring and fall when the
hair coat changed, as it has longer panels because of the western skirt
stitched on to the panels, but not the English saddle I have now, it has the
shorter panels, it is a 17 inch saddle, I have ridden many miles in it, long
miles, up hills, down hills, moving fast... and Jewel gaits beautifully in
it, He was dangerous in all other saddles... I am sorry the versatile did
not work out for you..