Re: [RC] Arabian Stud Fees are just too high - Bette Lamore

Dear Amy
When you think of stud fees you cannot simply think of the stallion having a good "roll in the hay!" It cost me $3500 to nominate my stallion for the Breeders Sweepstakes which most people seem to want who come to me--- even though the big bucks only pay off at Regionals and Nationals--- never-the-less, everyone wants the Original Entry for their foal which costs $2500 if the stallion or mare is not nominated (only need one who is) and only $400 if the stud is nominated, if paid the same year the mare is bred.
Next, there is the upkeep, as stallions cannot simply be let out in pasture with your mares (unless you want to breed EVERYONE--- there is no honor system with stallions-- they breed when they can and who they can and are not particularly discerning about geldings which can cause problems :-) ) Usually you keep a special place for your stallion(s). I keep mine together but then separated from the mares so that they do not fight.
Next there is the issue of training. Everyone wants to see what the stallion can do. Trainers here-- the good ones-- run from $500 (very cheap) to $800/$900 per month and you do not want to rush a stallion, as with any horse and particularly with a stallion, so you take it easy. And unless you are a trainer yourself or are and have the time to devote (which many of us have to work full time to earn the money to support our horse habit) you are looking at $4-5000 for only 6 months or so and some, like Scottsdale Sport Horse winner Jumpin Jak Flash (I bred him so I am proud of the boy) have been in training for over a year.
I won't even talk about the show costs which are exorbitant, yet most breeders want some kind of tangible proof that the stallion can compete (we're not addressing halter here which is politics) and win. Now in the case of many endurance breeders, to bring a stallion to a ride can be hazardous, despite a wonderful temperament. There are still those brazen hussy mares who tempt a guy. ;-) Then there are the hours and hours of training and miles put on-- the costs of transport, the costs of taking time off from work... and on and on.....
Then you have advertising costs which are expensive. Even if you go with a small ad in AHA-- you are looking at $500. When I used to advertise in Arabian Horse World magazine back in the early 90's it was $1200 for a page ad! Unless people know of your stallion, they can't breed to him. The less who breed to him, the more you have to charge for each individual breeding to make ends meet (and we are not talking about the HUGE breeders here--- the "politically correct" so to speak)
So now you should be getting an idea of why stallion owners have to charge some kind of decent stud fee. Unless stallion owners breed 100 mares/year (and believe me, most of us are not in a league to do so-- not enough money to put out the hype to even draw those kinds of numbers), there has to be some kind of payback to keep going.
So why are we stallion breeders still in the "business" and I use that term loosely :-)
Because we believe in our stallions and feel we owe it to him and others to put truly athletic horses with good conformation on the ground. This is our passion--- our avocation! I believe I am speaking for many breeders here. IT is truly a labor of love!
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)

Ridecamp Guest wrote:
Please Reply to: Amy Claiborne amyc@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been reading most of the talk about supply and demand, etc. The AHA wants us to breed more arabs, but who can afford the stud fees? I haven't seen any arabs I'd want to breed my mare to for under $1,000. Ridiculous! I have a nice CMK mare that I would love to breed for a purebred foal, but just can't afford the fees. I have two foals out of her, one very nice filly by an unknown Weiscamp bred QH stallion for a $150 fee, and the other filly by a money-earning son of Doc O'Lena for a $500 fee. The nicest by far is by the $150 stallion. What gives with the stud fees?