RE: [RC] Strategy and Tying Up - Mike Sofen

I think the important point here is that for horses that are prone to tying up – by previous history or genetics – the elimination of grain products is a key and critical part of the solution.  For horses that have never tied up – they MAY never tie up, or they are waiting, like the original poster on this topic, for the right set of circumstances and coincidences, to do so.

The linkage between grain (high starch) feeds and tie ups is scienfically pretty solid.  Ignore it at your own risk.  There is very little reason to feed grain to horses, with so many other pathways to get calories and fiber into them.

Mike

Several people have mentioned having problems with Purina Strategy.

We've fed Strategy (and beet pulp) to all of our horses since we got our first ones back in 1998, and have never had a tying up incident.  We now add Ultium, but they all still get some Strategy, including at rides.

Dawn in East Texas