Re: [RC] Which hay is better? - Ag47xAu49

Can there be a problem with Timothy and pregnant mares? Beccy in Ut

In a message dated 4/5/2005 10:26:17 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, TheTripleR@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi,

I have been feeding my horses good Bermuda (grass) hay for 14 yrs.

But I have a chance to buy a large quantity of good Timothy hay.

However, I am confused about the differences between a good grass hay, a good Timothy, or good alfalfa.

I have never fed alfalfa even if its good, as I’ve heard too many bad things about it.

I have never fed Timothy at all (its not common around here).

So my questions are:

1. What is the difference between good Timothy or good Grass hay?

2. Can Timothy be fed safely free choice?

3. Can Timothy be fed safely free choice to an senior horse?

Thanks for your reply(s) in advance!