[RC] [RC] your take on aladinn & rescue of Polish horses - Pam Salem

Thanks, Heidi.  That is how I heard it, too.  I used to raise Polish arabians
and one of my favorite stories is of the guard who held two stallions all
through the night during the bombing of Dresden.  They were saved to
become foundation sires after the war.  I personally have always liked
the Polish/Crabbet cross.  Now I have four Lasodo babies and the disposition
and trainability is the best I have ever had. His is not a pure polish pedigree.
He sure puts on size, bone, and brains.

When I saw Aladinn, he was very full bodied and passed on a solid body.
He was not very tall.  I do not remember him being small boned.  The
Poles watched the dam lines carefully so I would also look at the dam, too,
in cases of temperament and conformational problems. jmho - pam

<<<<Well, no, not the group that General Patton rescued.  The Poles made
considerable effort and traveled many miles in great danger to deliver the
group that contained *Witez II to the American army under General Patton
because they had heard he was a horseman, and they knew full well that the
Russians that were coming in on the front lines were apt to eat them.  The
Poles had no way to maintain the group (no feed, no money, etc.) and just
wanted them to survive the war.  They had managed to keep them out of
German hands as well, which was no small feat--the Germans at that point
in the war would likely have eaten them as well, or at least shot them so
no one else would have them.  This was indeed a rescue effort, plain and
simple.  I'm sure the American army needed to nursemaid a bunch of
half-starved horses like they needed a case of the plague, but they did
indeed take them in and do just that. Heidi >>>>