[RC] Bits - I'm Confused - cschiro

Are there certain bits out there that tend to work with horses in the ER/CTR
sports to encourage them to have a low(er) head and stretch out (versus being
high-headed and it a collected frame)? I don't know that much about bits and
trying to educate myself, but there are soooo many different kinds and
variations - I'm sooo confused. I know different bits put pressure on different
area and can raise or lower the head. I have an arabian I just bought a few
weeks ago. Last weekend I tried 4 or 5 bits on him in the arena to see what his
reaction was. He went ballistic (very high-headed, head-throwing, couldn't
stop/slow him, no directional control) with a Dr. Bristol double-jointed
snaffle and also an English Hackamore. He seemed to be fine in a solid D-ring
with a roller in the middle but  because it appeared to be very gentle bit and
had no curb chain, I felt it didn't have the extra control if I need it. I am
currently riding him in a Uexeter Kimberwick (solid bit with low port) with a
curb chain (has to stay loose or he goes ballis
tic). He seems ok in the Kimberwick but he sometimes throws his head up when I
try and halt or slow him down at a walk or trot (doesn't do this at a canter) -
and this is why I am investigating different bits. The Kimberwick is also a
heavy bit. Previous owners said they used a Argentine Snaffle on him. I'm not
sure how HE like it but they successfully completed a 25 mile ER. He is used to
trotting and cantering/galloping everywhere (previously, before me), so
sometimes I have difficulty keeping him in check when cantering (he'll take off
like a speeding bullet), so I definetly want some "brakes" if I need them. I
want to stay away from medium or high ports and jointed bits because he seems
to hate these when I tried them with him. Any suggestions? Anybody know
anything about/use Weymouth bits or a Pelham with a bit converter (so you can
use one set of reins instead of two sets)?