Re: [RC] Feedback on Combo Bit Needed - LAWRENCEC BENNASCONI

 I have two mylar bits. I use the low port combo bit on my gelding with no problems. I tried it on my mare and needed a bit more control so I bought the correctional kimberwicke for her and it works great. She would respond to the combo bit, but also needed the 5" mouth. My combo is a 4 3/4.  I have been trying the combo bit on my Morgan mare, and she acts like it is not even there. She will pull blisters into your hands. This surprised me, both my arabs were very fussy about other bits that I had tried. They would ignore them, or my mare loved to crane her neck to one side and make faces, and they are both very happy in their mylars.  I have only had the Morgan for two months, and I think she needs some training to teach her how to give to the pressure of the bit. I had my reins wrapped around my hands so I could just slow her down at Leatherwood. The three weeks before Sandhills will be spent in basic training.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 12:19 PM
Subject: [RC] Feedback on Combo Bit Needed

After holding the new mare back for 3 days at Cuyama (using Myler kimberwick style bits) the poor thing had rubs at the corners of her mouth.  (I could ride her one handed, so it wasn't that she was pulling hard,  but she's green and  needed frequent half halts to remind her to slow down/not get caught up.)

I'm thinking of trying the Myler combo bit--maybe less pressure in those spots if it's spread around more?  Anyone out there using the combo who'd like to comment?

Thanks,
Dabney