From: Chris Paus
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Feeding Corn

I don't feed corn to my horses either, now that I've become more educated about nutrition and feed. However, for 15 years when I lived in northern Wisconsin, we fed our horses corn. For years, we grew our own field corn. In the fall, we harvested it by cutting the stalks and piling them up in a tent, called a "shock." Throughout the long Wisconsin winters, we'd feed one or two shocks a day to the horses (who lived outside) along with their hay. The horses would eat the shocks, stalks, leaves, corn cobs and all. Those were some darned healthy horses. I didn't know much then about all the things that could go wrong with horses, but those guys lived their lives with no colics, no heaves. They kept their weight well during winter and had shiny bright coats and eyes and easy to work with personalities.

Both horses did founder AFTER we quit feeding them corn shocks and put them on more "civilized" feed. I blamed the alfalfa pellets we fed one year when hay was hard to come by.

One horse recovered and lived a good, healthy and useful lilfe to age 28. The other battled chronic laminitis and he could not eat even a sprig of a legume.. no hay or clover... or he'd get sore feet.

chris

Beth Gunn <happyhoofprints@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am not happy with corn feeds for endurance horses either. My 19 yr
mare,DeeDee, came up cronically? lame 2 years ago. Very ouchy in the front
end. I have no pasture, dry lots and mixed grass hays 24 7s. The feed I
was using had a lot of corn. Chiro/acupucture vet goet DeeDee fixed up.
Took 3 months, 6 visits, and close to a $1000....
She has been sound since then until now. I mixed a few handfuls of Nutrena
Safe Choice with her regular Nutrena XTN and beet pulp, with the idea to get
her off the high energy food to Safe Choice which has vegetable oil for
energy. She came up lame the next day. Safe Choice first ingredient is
corn. And I bet the veg oil also si corn based. Anyway, stopped feeding
the SC and she is still lame a week later. Ugh!
Starch dump overload into the stomach is never a good idea. And that is
what high starch/low fiber corn is as compared to oats, which has good fiber
ansd decent protein levels.
There is also the mycotoxin problem with corn. We feed it to the deer
around here.
Beth Gunn
SoCar. where Spring has Sprung!!!