[RC] Moving to VA-NC-TN mountains - Stacy Sadar

My husband and I are looking to move to the Smokey mountain area.  For the last month we've been traveling to Virginia, NC, and Tenn to look at the area and the properties available.  Planning a week long vacation in another two weeks there.  We are coming from Ohio and I'm trying to figure out which state is better to move to for taxes...property & income, fees on vehicles, how the state treats business (I have my own business) and any other oddball item that we should know about, before making a decision.  We want to move to the "best" state since we are sick of paying all that we pay in Ohio...which is now ranked the 3rd worst state to live in regarding taxes!  Also, looking for the best location to set up house with proximity to trails and at least decent driving distance to the store, bank, etc.  I just don't want to be an hour and half away from being able to pick up a gallon of milk.  LOL

I'm interested in speaking with anyone who lives in the area in order to get a little more insight into this move.  We've been to the state and county websites, but the best resources are actually those who live there.   I'll be happy to call you directly to speak with you or you can email me with your thoughts at stacy_sadar@xxxxxxxxx

We are looking in the following areas, but will take any other suggestions:
Virginia....Grayson County and surrounding, including,Galax, Hillsville, Fries, or farther west in the mountains
Tennessee...Johnson County, Carter County, and a bit of Sullivan County
North Carolina...Want North of Asheville...in mountains.

Thanks for you help!
Stacy