Re: [RC] broken/displaced pastern joint? - Dyane Smith

On March 26, 2005, Marlene Moss wrote: re: broken/displaced pastern joint?

A couple days after he was allowed back on pasture he comes up a little lame with a popping noise.  She removed the bandages and found it was coming from around the fetlock and could see the movement was very odd and he didn?t want to stand on it.

We just got back from visiting (and taking out stitches from the surgery) and got to see it.  This is very bizarre.  It looks like P1-P2 is moving.  Wouldn?t think a broken bone, just that the normally very tight connection between these bones was destroyed.

Hi, Marlene,

This might not be the same thing, but my horse had a popping noise in his rear fetlock joint.  A vet dx'd him as having a "torn medial attachment of superficial flexor tendon".  I gave him Legend shots once a month for 3 or so months and fed him Cosequin for a couple of months.  It healed without incident.  All that being said, I would sure be cautious and work closely with a competent vet.

Dyane