Re: [RC] colic surgery - LAWRENCEC BENNASCONI

 My mare had colic surgery as a yearling. She is now 9 and has not had another episode since. In her case, she had an impaction and rolled before we got to her. I was feeding costal bermuda at the time, and I guess she is one of those horses that can not eat bermuda hay. We had also had a pretty drastic weather change that day, so it was not just one thing, but several contributing factors. So far, I have ridden her in one 25, finished with plenty of horse left. and done countless training rides. Her heart is just not into endurance, so I let friends ride her occasionally, but I only enter her if my other horse is "off". I let her be a pasture ornament for too long, I was always afraid to work her hard because of the colic surgery, but her incision healed so well, a vet barely detect it!
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:04 PM
Subject: [RC] colic surgery

Can anyone give me information on expectations for returning a horse to endurance and CTR afer colic surgery?
My 10 year old gelding had surgery today for colic. The surgeon was not able to give me a cause.  She felt a fecal impaction on exam, and suspected an enterolith, but did not find one during surgery.  I have heard that the abdominal incision can weaken the abdominal muscles enough to impair future function.  Can anyone give me more information on this?
Thanks

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

Maris Ramsay