[RC] colic surgery - MarisR

Can anyone give me information on expectations for returning a horse to endurance and CTR afer colic surgery?
My 10 year old gelding had surgery today for colic. The surgeon was not able to give me a cause.  She felt a fecal impaction on exam, and suspected an enterolith, but did not find one during surgery.  I have heard that the abdominal incision can weaken the abdominal muscles enough to impair future function.  Can anyone give me more information on this?
Thanks

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

Maris Ramsay