To: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx>; "Melissa Alexander" <mcalex@xxxxxxxxxx>; "'ridecamp'" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Rider Weight

Hello Barbara and Melissa and all.... Obesity has become Americas # 1 Health Problem. It masks other causes of death by blood vessels clogged w/ Big Mac's and Fries and heart problems. We are a consumer society that has everything we want to consume and people consume too much and exercise too little.

The insensentivities that are voiced sometimes come from both ends of the sprectrum and i have been guilty, i was told. I was at a ride and this friend who i hadn't seen in a while who has gained 100-125 lbs said to me..."Hey Tom come over and get something to eat. It looks like you need it." before i had a chance to think i retorted..." It looks like you ate it all.". Well a pin could have dropped and the laughter stopped. I felt ashamed, but Why was it OK to insinuate i need to eat more when its so obvious that person needs to eat less?

This thread is going to the crux of a very serious American problem, and I hope it continues in the sweet, objective and just downright Beautiful way Melissa perceives it.