Re: [RC] Rider weight - Becky Huffman

Yes, lighter is better, but no one has addressed the training issues that are key to a horse carrying a heavier rider.  You can help them immensely by doing gymnastics to strengthen their abs (and back muscles) and teaching them to round up and carry themselves properly.

I have a range of horses here from 13.3 to 15hh and over the last ten years and two kids have ranged in my own weight between 135 and 210.  I've noticed much more a difference/(disadvantage at the higher end) on my fitness and balance than any real difference in the horses seeming ability to carry me.  I'm about 170 w/tack now and don't think twice about taking the pony out for several hours.  She's stout, about 900 (on a scale, not a tape) so I'm not out of her 20% (if I can do math before coffee, which is questionable), but she's carried heavier riders without and signs of distress.  by signs of distress I look for her to hollow her back, fuss and dance either standing still or on inclines, that sort of thing.

so how about some training discussion on how to help the horse as well as the rider, instead of rider-bashing.  cavelletti anyone?  butt-scrunches?  belly-lifts?

Becky Huffman, Cleburne, Texas
www.TheOriginalSeries.com

"Of the long years of peace ... there is little tale."
JRR Tolkien, The Silmarillion