[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: [RC] Dodge Ram Transmissions]] - cschiro

From: <dschiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2005/03/23 Wed AM 11:11:44 EST
To: <cschiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [RC]   Dodge Ram Transmissions]

Nope.   Transmissions on gas engines face a different environment than
transmissions on diesel engines.

1) Typically undersized transmissions are placed behind gasoline engines
because they develop lower torque as a diesel engine. The assumption is that
the transmissions don't need to be as strong.  This same thinking prevades
the boating world as well.  Our truck has the upgraded heavy duty
transmission on it and has over 80k miles on it. Besides a minor front gasket
leak it shows no signs of trouble. This is why I wanted a large diesel truck.
 You just tear up the drive train trying to pull a trailer with a F150.  The
F250 is still a little undersized for payload capacity and causes stress on
the drive train as well.

2) Gasoline engines accelerate faster and rev higher than diesel engines.
Hard acceleration and high RPM's are not good for the longevity of a
transmission.  This is especially true when hauling a trailer.  The extra
weight in combination with the other two is a recipe for disaster.  People
think that they have a big block engine so they can take off like a bat out
of hell.  This is not the case.

3) The differential gearing is higher on Gasoline engines.  This is because
the gas engine does not develop as much torque as the diesel.   To make the
trucks have the same towing capacity, the differential gear ratio is
increased.  This means that the engine must run faster to acheive the same
speed.  This means more stress on the transmission.

A diesel truck is the only way to go for a horse trailer.  Everything is
stronger and not stressed as hard. This results in a much longer lifespan for
the machinery.

Dan