Re: [RC] endurance breeding - heidi

Please Reply to: Sue Andrews allira_park@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ==========================================

Hi Everyone,
Thankyou to the people who replied to my last post. A special thankyou
to Diane Trefethen the link you sent gave me the answer to RO Fabiola's
pedigree and I was also able to look up Hachim's pedigree.  As I'm
interested in the breeding of endurance horses I would like to know from
USA does any one stallion {or several} stand out as a sire line of your
top endurance horses.  Thanks again,
Sue Andrews
Qld, Australia
http://www.allira-park-endurance-arabians.com

Hi, Sue--

No single stallion stands out, and I think one of the biggest mistakes
that people make in evaluating endurance breeding is looking only at sire
lines.  The older preservation family lines are FAR more represented among
top endurance horses than are the modern show lines.  One example is the
CMK breeding group, which comprises only about 5% of the American gene
pool at this point, but which shows up repeatedly in top horses.  To date,
of those Tevis and Haggin winners whose pedigrees can be traced (all of
the registered purebreds, a few unregistered ones, and five of the
partbreds), NO horse carries LESS than 25% CMK breeding, and over a third
of them qualify as CMK.  In the last decade, 50% of the Tevis winners have
been CMK.  These horses are roughly equivalent to what you would call
Crabbet/Old Colonial breeding in Australia.  The WEC winner Hachim fits
this profile as well.

When researching any particular sire line, look at how many of the
offspring attempted the sport, and then look at how many of those have
done well.  Look for how many have continued on to the 1000-mile point or
better, and look at completion percentages.  (Can only do that on the last
decade or so.)  Any program worth its salt should be producing horses with
85+% completion rates, IMO, on average--in other words, their completion
rates should be as good or better than the average for the population at
large.  And they should also be able to produce horses that on average
have some longevity in the sport.

Our own program is small, but we have to date had 8 horses bred by us or
by our stallions that have gone over 1000 miles (one has over 10,000
miles), we had three with various owners rack up good records this past
year for their first seasons, have had a youngster win and BC at Virginia
City, have had a youngster 2nd at Tevis, etc.  Our program is not unusual
among CMK programs--one need only look around at programs such as Michael
Bowling's, Lois Russell's, Marjorie Van Gilder's, Jackie Bumgardner's, and
Kathi Theile's, to name just a handful.  All of those programs have
bloodlines in common, and breed old-style functional Arabians, of
primarily CMK breeding, with occasional lines to other old lines such as
the Patton Polish or Babson.  The Rushcreek program was a CMK program, and
the early Hyannis horses were also CMK or CMK-Patton Polish crosses.
These lines keep cropping up again and again at the front of the pack and
at the forefront of career mileage records.

BTW, the highest placing US horse at the WEC (GA Tyfa Mynte, aka Honey) is
also CMK--and a 20-year-old mare to boot.

Interestingly enough, the recent BLM mustang thread also underscores the
fact that breeding matters--it is interesting to see how the successful
mustangs also tend to come from a few select herds, hence are apt to be at
least somewhat related.  Yep, breeding matters--even when you don't know
what it is!  :-)

Heidi