Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 1:00 AM
Subject: [RC] rider weight

If it is true that horses should carry no more than 20% of their weight, then by all means I shouldn't be riding Alpine at all.

He's about 800#'s or so, and me +tack is over 200.  He seems to do just fine, even on long rides.  I wonder more if it has more to do with build then anything else.  He's stocky for a paso, with big bones.  His weak point I think is his back...he's a little long backed.  But, if I'm using a saddle that fits, he hasn't had any problems.  I do work to keep his back muscles strong, and try to ride lightly when possible.

Sigh...Now I'm feeling guilty. Think I'll go eat a carrot stick or something healthy...

Juli and Alpine (oomph...she needs to diet...)