Re: [RC] Bitless bridle dilemma - Karla Watson

We got a horse recently that was being ridden in a bitless that wasn't working for him. He ran right thru the bitless. He also has the same mouth issues and likes to chew on those things and was Parelli trained for 2 years. We tried a "scissor bosal" and its working great. (found mine on ebay) You may also try a "S hack" since the shanks don't go down very far. Had great luck with both of those.
----------------Karla Watson
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:36 AM
Subject: [RC] Bitless bridle dilemma

I have a 7 y.o. QH that can not be ridden with a bit due to excessive
scar tissue in his mouth from having his wolf teeth removed.  He goes
well in a Dr. Cook bitless bridle, most of the time, but if he does
not want to stop or turn, he just pulls right through it and I have no
control.  I tried to use an AB sidepull, but it is too strong for him
and he goes ballistic if he tests it-- rearing, bucking, etc.  He also
gets so obsessed with the underneath piece hanging down that he gets
distracted throwing his head and trying to bite and play with it that
he eventually works himself into a frenzy over it.  I have had a
problem with him being mouthy and have worked very hard to correct it,
but if he has a piece of tack hanging down, it's way too much
temptation.  I am leery to try a hackamore on him because I think it
might be too strong for him and, as he is green, if he tests it, I'm
afraid of him exploding.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I need
something with a little more control than the Dr. Cook bridle, but
without any pieces hanging down that he might try to play with and I
haven't found anything that fits the bill yet.  Also, my mare goes
perfectly in the AB sidepull, but I'm afraid it might rub her on long
rides-- has anyone used it and had a problem with rubbing?  Is there a
similar type of bridle out there, but that has the noseband covered so
it won't rub?

--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in