Re: [RC] "Easy" mare <rated pg-13> - JUDYK89

I have heard of having the vet insert properly sized marbles into your mare to trick her body into thinking it is pregnant.  As a result, no heat.  I think they only last about six to ten months before coming out and must be reinserted, but it beats chemicals!  I would look into this by asking my vet if I were you.  Regumate is expensive as are most chemicals, and I can't believe that this would be any more expensive and sounds MUCH safer and easier to deal with.

My best friend did this with a mare that really comes into season hard all the time.  Of course spring and fall transitions are the worst (she colic's almost every time).  We found the marble helped for exactly 2 1/2 months.  We could tell to the day.  After talking to the vet, he said that's pretty much the response he'd been getting, if the mare responds at all.  It was relatively new when we tried it, now we know.  Between the expense, and the risk (minor, but still a risk of infection), my friend decided not to do it again.  Of course, even though the marble isn't tricking her reproductive cycle any more, it's still in there.  We're undecided on whether the expense is worth getting it out.  We were under the impression that she would expel it on her own, and maybe most mares do, but of course she didn't. Next step will be spaying.

Judy in San Diego