[RC] Re:Wind Puffs - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Bruce Weary bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Heidi--
I'd have to respectfully disagree with you on the recovery of wind
puffs--acute ones, anyway. Chronic ones that weren't attended
to initially, yes,certainly, they seem to be permanent. I have personally
treated acute wind puffs on my horses several times and
gotten them to resolve. I'm sure there are variations in severity
that limit recovery in certain cases. The original poster was
asking about a recent acute situation with what looks like a wind puff to them.
If effective conservative measures are taken early
enough, the wind puff may disappear. Also, my vet manual says that
the distension of a wind puff may be from collection of fluid in
the capsule, tendon sheath or bursa, as well as a thinkening
of the synovium, which probably is a more chronic, or adaptive
change, as you put it.
 As a chiropractor I see acute fluid formation in and around
joints frequently, and it is always addressed early and aggressively, usually
with good resolution. Then there are old
joint injuries that have undergone secondary changes like capsule thickening,
etc. I think we may just be disagreeing on
the context of acute vs chronic and new swelling vs adaptive
changes. I would still advise the poster with the acutely
injured horse to use aggressive therapy to try to improve or
resolve the injury, rather than relax, do nothing and wait for
a permanent wind puff to form.  Bruce   P.S. Are you going to convention?