[RC] saddle for gaited endurance horse - Karen Williams

Hello Terri

I also ride a gaited horse (Paso Fino) and have had a terrible time finding a
saddle that both he and I like.  I even had one made for him which digs into
his shoulders and has left white spots on either side of his withers (which are
thank goodness disappearing).

I finally went to a treeless saddle and belive me, I was big treeless skeptic!
The one I got is a Barefoot treeless saddle from Candy Kahn in Oregon
(www.boaboots.com).  She will send you one to try out if you are interested.
Anyway, I plopped it on my horse's back, got on and the difference was
unbelievable!  Widget loves it -- he gaits like he never has before and really
strides out at the walk.  He's no longer balky going downhills.  The saddle is
also extremely comfortable for me.  I'm very pleased so far.  I've only had it
for a few months now and have only done training rides in it (15-20 miles).  My
endurance "season" doesn't start until next month, but I'm confident that it
will be just fine over the long distance.  I got the western-type fenders with
it.

A few weeks ago I rode with a friend of mine and she tried the saddle on her
non-gaited appaloosa after the ride.  She was amazed that he instantly moved
out better than he did with her english saddle.

So now that I'm settled on the treeless, I have 5 saddles that didn't work out
to sell.  :-(

Good luck!

Karen

Quoting arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

After spending an afternoon researching various archives for saddles for
gaited horses, the consensus seems to be  Ansur, Torsion, Boz Bareback and
Bob Marshall Sports Saddle. So, my question for you "gaited grinners"
(what we are doing at the end of a long ride) is: what saddle has given
you and your horse the most comfort over the long haul. This horse is new
to me and my Wintec Endurance saddle does not fit him. Before I sore his
back I need to get a new saddle! Thanks,
Terri
.com