Re: [RC] pregnancy (riders) - Jackie Causgrove

Oh good for you!!!  I spent many years in practicing high rish obstetrics (now retired).  While riding in the last trimester is discouraged primarily due to the risk of a fall, I have seen other atheltic woman do amazing things without any ill outcome.  They all were at the top of their game and knew their limits etc.  Also, woman who are in good physical shape tend to do better in labor and deliverying (muscles, muscles, muscles :).  The notion that woman are invalids during pregnancy is an old.  Woman work all the way through their pregnancies now too.  Heck, farm woman work all the time; right up to delivery and right after coming home (I use to practice in Iowa.  Boy, was I amqazed at some of those farmer's wives!).
Wow, sorry that you have been flamed.  It's hard to be ahead of your time!

Jackie

Laura Hayes <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There have been discussions in other years - you can check the archives.

I did a 50 at 7.5 months pregnant-  was third.  My last ride around the farm bareback was 24 hours before my water broke, and 48 hours before giving birth.  I did another 50 miler 3.5 weeks after having a healthy baby boy - nursed him at the vet checks.

I have been flamed for these statements in the past, so I will defend myself now and tell you that I was 24 years old, not too long out of a Division 1 athletic career, and fit as a fiddle.  My child never had so much as an ear ache, and is now 6'5" and has $21,000 worth of scholarships to college, so I did not hurt him physically or mentally!!!

Don't try this at home.  I am not recommending it to anyone- but it worked for me.

Laura Hayes
Vine Cliff Farms
Brocton, NY
AERC# 2741