RE: [RC] [RC] Karen, ? about epics. - DreamWeaver

At 09:12 PM 3/14/2005, terry banister wrote:
Karen,
That is exciting news to hear a "transition" story about a horse that had previously been shod and had no time to develop calloused soles, yet still completed a difficult 50-miler!
I am curious about your comments: "I wanted to see if the boots would work
as they came, and they did. With no alterations."

. . . yet you stated: "Next ride, this is what I will do with the Epics:
Remove gaitor, cut down heel strap in back, put gaitor back on
Grind toe even more, to speed breakover on the front feet only
I will put them on and off each day
At the vet check and/or at any other opportune times, I will undo the velcro and check for sand/pebbles"

Why?

Hi Terry -- well, because I think I can make it better, the first ride was a learning experience. These boots are afterall, Easyboots with a gaitor, so I really am only making the adjustments that I have previously made for years to regular Easyboots with much success. Chief needs the faster breakover in the toe, on the fronts, and I'd like to reduce the amount of heel strap, I've never had luck in the past using them as wide as they come. That is due in part to my horses living at over 5500' elevation and having mud, and snow to contend with so soft heel bulbs. We are just starting to dry out now. At one of the vet checks, I checked the boots/velcro and pulled out a couple of pebbles that had gotten into the back of the boots -- so I think I will check that from now on just to be on the safe side. No use causing a tender spot. At the end of the ride the boots were really clean inside, I was surprised after all of the sand we went thru.

Do you think I need to watch for him getting sore anytime after this ride? I keep feeling his legs, ankle, and hooves several times a day and everything is cool and normal. If there is something I should be paying particular attention to, could you let me know? So far he looks absolutely excellent, you'd never know he did a ride Saturday. He has really strong feet, and since my goal is to not ride him as much this year this is a good time to try this. :)

Have you tried the Epics without a heel strap yet? Wondering if they'd stay on.

Karen