Re: [RC] [RC] Limited Distance vs Competive Trail - Chris Paus

Nat, there's CTR and then there's CTR. There's a wide variety of difference. Not all CTR sanctioning organizations do obstacles on trail or judge your riding or your camping. The CTR organization I ride with simply judges horses on best condition. It's a great learning opportunity for the rider and horse to learn pacing and other lessons.

chris

Nat Nelson <circlenat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<ECTRA [www.ectra.org] and do the comptitive trail>>

That depends. I've done both and in the short time
I've been envolved in AERC doing limited distance
rides, I've learned MUCH more than I ever did doing
competitive trail!

If you enjoy being judged on your every move on the
trail and in camp, that excells in a structured
enviroment full of rules and regulations. Well then,
competive trail may be your cup of tea.

I myself do not care to be judged on whether or not I
"correctly" mounted my horse, or correctly navigated
my horse over an obstical, whether or not I can mount
or dismount on the right, or if I have all the sharp
edges of my horse trailer wraped with vet wrap or not.
What I do care is that my horse is sound; before,
during and after the ride and gets a good vet scores.

In competitive trail you are riding for the highest
possible score to place in the ribbons. What I like
about AERC is their concept "To finish is to win" and
to "ride your own ride". There is so many different
reasons to ride and levels to compete.

When I started competitive trail I thought that I
would NEVER do endurance rides! They were way too
scary to me - especially the uncontrolled starts. But,
once I did there was no turning back, I just fell in
love with the sport of endurance.

Don't get me wrong. Competitive trail is a great
sport, and I enjoyed it for many years. While
endurance is a cousin to competitive trail they are
two different sports.

As far as saying Limited Distance is "novice" rides.
That is not exactly a fair statement. There are many
folks who ride limited distance with excess of 1,000
miles under their belt. I wouldn't say they're novices
;)

~Nat~
Buckeye, AZ