[RC] CSHA Endurance Clinic - Richard Theodore

On March 5, 2005, the California State Horsemen's Endurance Program, sponsored an endurance clinic in Northern California at the Hale Arena in Cottonwood, Ca. This was the first of three they will put on this year , North, Central and South and each will be different.  We are trying to encourage membership in CSHA and the endurance program  and also encourage and educate new riders into the sport of endurance.  The program works with AERC official ride results, so no extra paperwork for the rider.

This one was a tremendous success with 67 paid participants and all enjoyed themselves.  We had five speakers and seven vendors. All the speakers and the hosts, Clarissa and Barbara Hale donated of their time and facility.

The vendors were set up and open by 8am along with coffee and muffins by CSHA.  After a brief introduction  at 9:10am  we started our speakers with Julie Suhr on the diversity of riders and yet the common bond we all have of love of trails, horses and endurance.  There is a place for riders from all walks of life, all ages and all sizes. During lunch she sold and signed her book.

Dr. Rob Lydon , a local private mobile practice vet, who has vetted and ridden  endurance rides for 5 years discussed the conditioning of the horse.  He went over the mental attitude, musculature, skeletal and cardiovascular parts , the difference in time each takes to condition for the first endurance ride.  The longer we take the longer the horse will last as a sound competitor.  We took a short break and  Dr. Lydon  gathered everyone outside  in the beautiful sunny weather and demonstrated a vet check, CRI and BC exam.  He discussed all the parameters and what they mean and why they are important.  Everyone should practice at home before going to a ride.

We took a one hour break for tri-tip lunch, cooked and served by CSHA committee chair Richard Theodore his wife Mary and granddaughter Rylee Theodore.  We also had time for everyone to shop and visit.

We started after lunch with endurance rider and trainer Eric Hought of Hought Tack , McKinleyville.  Demonstrating on a half-Arabian three year old, he pointed out the importance and usefulness of the one-rein stop, bending, disengaging the hind quarters and controlling each foot before we enter our first ride.  We must be patient and consistent.  On our LD training ride, we must set our mindset that if we don't get the gait we want or the answer we want on a loose rein right away , one-rein stop and start over, we have 24 more miles to get it right, No Hurry.

Then we moved on to endurance rider , and certified saddle fitter Tammy Nute of Cool Tack from Georgetown speaking on saddle fit and a demonstration.  She also went over quality, price and comfort of several saddles she has and discussed different pads, their care and use.  This was a hot topic with lots of questions as every rider has at some time had a saddle fit problem.

Endurance rider and ranch manager/owner Clarissa Hale  ended the seminar with a discussion on the  unwritten rules of trail etiquette.  She covered everything from sign-up to ride meeting to gates, bridges, water, dogs, vet checks, other trail users, safety, and thanking the vets, volunteers and ride manager.  We must remember we are out to enjoy our horse, trails and friends.  A smile and  kind, enthusiastic words to all we meet on the trail word leave good impressions(or footprints?) for the horse industry.

For more information on upcoming clinics go to the CSHA website http://californiastatehorsemen.com and click on endurance.

We will be at the AERC Convention in Sparks, NV and will be presenting the awards to the 2004 CSHA State Endurance Program winners Saturday,11:00 AM on the Trade Show Floor in the Pavilion.