Re: [RC] Horse color and night riding. - Barbara McCrary

Not sure about feeling with whiskers, but I know horses that smell the trail. They put their heads down and sniff as they go.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 9:05 AM
Subject: [RC] Horse color and night riding.

I thought all the discussions about horse color were rather academic, until last night. I wasn?t able to get out on our training ride until after 4PM and went further than I should have. Visibility wasn?t too bad until we got to a section of narrow, downhill, switchback single track trail through a dense stand of Fir trees around 8PM. As hard as I tried I could not see ANY definition of ANYTHING on the ground or down the trail. I gave Jimmy his head and he did the ?marble rolling? nose on the ground thing. I wondered if he was feeling the trail with his whiskers! Is there such a thing as horsy radar? The advantage of a grey horse in this situation is I got to see a faint glow of his neck and head so at least I knew which way was down. On a Bay or Chestnut it would have been like floating in deep space. ?Beam me up Scotty?.

Dean and Jimmy (who wants to know what you should call a horse that is brown and green on the sides/top, with white legs and belly ? Appayuka or Palosplotcho?)